Big news coming soon from the Turf (Sean Dyche sacked)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
BabylonClaret
Been Liked: 710 times
Has Liked: 619 times

Re: Big news coming soon from the Turf (Sean Dyche sacked)

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:09 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:26 am
that's shocked it's actually happened - not an indication of their delight or not
Article says "It’s been a shock to the players, that is human nature. But they are an experienced group. It is about the whole club coming together, bunkering in and concentrating on what we need to do.’" thats a quote from Jackson and doesn't to me suggest that the players are largely relieved - suggest they've had to regroup. If they'd been grumbling in the background Ito the owners Id expect there to be either no reference or words a little less dynamic. He's suggesting that they've had to get over this.

There's no appointment in the direct pipeline either. Unless the club is playing super close to the chest.

Will be interesting this week that's for sure.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:12 am

Until recently I didn't know that Dyche had less or even no say in recruiting. That is not the right way to manage a team.

I can see an argument that says he should be more open to overseas players say, but as his team was about 'togetherness' and Dyche's framework it's even more important that it should have been left to him. I also wondered if he'd been 'encouraged' to play a bit more open style this season which, if so, clearly hasn't worked. No wonder the team's been a mess most of this season.

If all this is true then Dyche is a victim of other people's interference.

Murger
Been Liked: 1243 times
Has Liked: 845 times

Post by Murger » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:16 am

Hipper wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:12 am
Until recently I didn't know that Dyche had less or even no say in recruiting. That is not the right way to manage a team.

I can see an argument that says he should be more open to overseas players say, but as his team was about 'togetherness' and Dyche's framework it's even more important that it should have been left to him. I also wondered if he'd been 'encouraged' to play a bit more open style this season which, if so, clearly hasn't worked. No wonder the team's been a mess most of this season.

Is that yet another excuse?
This user liked this post: deanothedino

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1507 times
Has Liked: 580 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:20 am

Hipper wrote:

Nah, not having this. Dyche was very clear that Weghorst had been a long term recruitment target, for example. Collins? Roberts? You’re telling me the all happened without his input? Like he would’ve accepted that. This is just seems like a narrative made up to excuse his failures.

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:24 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:09 am

There's no appointment in the direct pipeline either. Unless the club is playing super close to the chest.

Will be interesting this week that's for sure.
I would be very surprised if there is no replacement already in the pipeline. Pace is a very shrewd businessman, and although I think the timing of the decision is dreadful, I would imagine, knowing how important it is to him that we stay in this division, certain things will already be in place.

My thinking also is, if that is the case, whoever is lined up has insisted he brings his own backroom staff in, which might be the reason so many have been shown the door?

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2106 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:26 am

Hipper wrote:

Barely won a game for 18 months but obviously none of it's Sean's fault. His insistence on buying ageing British players is the reason our squad is such a mess.
These 3 users liked this post: SkiptonClaret tiger76 buzzclarets79

kentonclaret
Been Liked: 977 times
Has Liked: 204 times

Post by kentonclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:26 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:04 pm
For me Sean Dyche overstepped the mark when he fell out with the chairman over the contract situations of Hart, Lennon, Bardsley and Hendrick,
The players apparently were not prepared to sign a one month extension. Dyche threw his toys out and, for me, was lucky to keep his job.
And let's face it, nothing much has gone right since.

Why be so determined to extend the contract of Bardsley when he has appeared just four times in two seasons in the Premier League and not since February 2021. Dyche has not called on him in the PL this season despite naming him on the bench on 24 occasions. :x

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 607 times

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:30 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 9:04 pm
For me Sean Dyche overstepped the mark when he fell out with the chairman over the contract situations of Hart, Lennon, Bardsley and Hendrick,
The players apparently were not prepared to sign a one month extension. Dyche threw his toys out and, for me, was lucky to keep his job.
And let's face it, nothing much has gone right since.
Do you you have proof of this, or is this just speculation?

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2235 times
Has Liked: 2135 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:33 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:26 am
Barely won a game for 18 months but obviously none of it's Sean's fault. His insistence on buying ageing British players is the reason our squad is such a mess.
Or is it because Garlick didn’t make any funds available in the last 2-3 years of his time as Chairman & majority shareholder?

Because Dyche 2014-18 certainly didn’t mind spending a few quid on young players with growth potential:

- Keane, Gray, Tarky, Brady (ok bad signing), Hendrick, Taylor, Wood, Pope, JBG

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:38 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:33 am
Or is it because Garlick didn’t make any funds available in the last 2-3 years of his time as Chairman & majority shareholder?

Because Dyche 2014-18 certainly didn’t mind spending a few quid on young players with growth potential:

- Keane, Gray, Tarky, Brady (ok bad signing), Hendrick, Taylor, Wood, Pope, JBG
I think it’s a bit of both. Which baffles me how any supporters can lay the blame on ALK.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2218 times
Has Liked: 2207 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:41 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Those well known ageing and British players - Weghorst, Cornet and Collins :shock:
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:45 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:38 am
I think it’s a bit of both. Which baffles me how any supporters can lay the blame on ALK.
I don't think I'm blaming ALK, or blaming Sean Dyche, or blaming Garlick

Fact is that situation with COVID over the past three years have complicated stuff a lot, and we started off with a squad that desperately needed a big rebuild two seasons ago

We've just not been able to do enough, and a lot of that is because we are fighting against clubs owned by billionaires

All good things come to an end, and it feels increasingly like this is ours

Hey ho, as long as the solution isn't BFS then we will see where we end up
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

spt_claret
Been Liked: 732 times
Has Liked: 460 times

Post by spt_claret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:54 am

Hipper wrote:

There were reports for several years under Garlick that Dyche wanted to use the overseas market more and Garlick was mistrustful.

For years there was much talk of Dyches use of analytics and statistical performance metrics, this often can be applied to scouting as well as coaching.

Takin that into account this strikes me less about Pace looking overseas vs Dyche staying domestic, and more specific individuals being targeted differently. We were linked with foreign central midfielders multiple times to no avail, but did successfully bring in a flair winger/wingback in Cornet who despite individual flashes of brilliance has struggled to find how to fit into our team as a whole.

My gut says it was probably a battle between good value flair players who can be quickly sold at profit if they impress, vs less eyecatching or profitable players who will fit better into the approach of incrementally improving the team.

We keep asking why we haven't strengthened central midfield, I think this might be why.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3079 times
Has Liked: 5043 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:01 am

Hipper wrote:

The framework, which was necessary, should have been a stepping stone to better things.
I like the players recruited under Pace. Roberts and Collins good young pros, Weghorst and Max that extra bit of class. The problem is we didn't step up, we continued with 'the framework ', and the team and new players struggled because of it.
We needed some midfielders to bring it together, but Max and Weghorst in particular, have suffered badly, God knows what it has done to their confidence.

We have to be a lot braver going forward, take some risks, and go for it. It may or may not work, but at least we can say we tried. You can play well and get beat, but another Norwich performance and a lot more people would have been on Sean's back.

Blakesboots
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 178 times

Post by Blakesboots » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:03 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Why be so determined to extend the contract of Bardsley when he has appeared just four times in two seasons in the Premier League and not since February 2021. Dyche has not called on him in the PL this season despite naming him on the bench on 24 occasions. :x
There’s more to a dressing room than playing week in week out

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:11 am

fidelcastro wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:41 am
Those well known ageing and British players - Weghorst, Cornet and Collins :shock:
Were those Dyche signings, or more to do with ALK? I'd be amazed if it was Dyche who pushed for Cornet, for example.

taio
Been Liked: 3240 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 am

This is a good article which sums up how I and many Burnley supporters appear to feel right now while acknowledging there are important unanswered questions: https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... ubs-future
This user liked this post: DCWat

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:23 am

kentonclaret wrote:
Bardsley is retiring this summer I think.
We renewed his deal in March last year, long before we signed Roberts and let's not forget Roberts was also recovering from injury when we signed him.
He's got his coaching badges and in his own words he's been helping younger players progress/improve and also supporting the senior team despite the fact he hasn't been playing.

If Bardsley hasn't played much in two seasons then it's mainly because Lowton has been playing well, something he also acknowledges.

Dyche has always had a more senior player around to help keep the dressing room harmonious
This user liked this post: Blakesboots

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:27 am

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:23 am
Bardsley is retiring this summer I think.
We renewed his deal in March last year, long before we signed Roberts and let's not forget Roberts was also recovering from injury when we signed him.
He's got his coaching badges and in his own words he's been helping younger players progress/improve and also supporting the senior team despite the fact he hasn't been playing.

If Bardsley hasn't played much in two seasons then it's mainly because Lowton has been playing well, something he also acknowledges.

Dyche has always had a more senior player around to help keep the dressing room harmonious
Wouldn't be surprised to see Bardsley end up at Derby with his mate.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 347 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:29 am

Been in and around the mix for Salford FC

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:39 am

Zom Zom wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:24 am
I would be very surprised if there is no replacement already in the pipeline. Pace is a very shrewd businessman, and although I think the timing of the decision is dreadful, I would imagine, knowing how important it is to him that we stay in this division, certain things will already be in place.

My thinking also is, if that is the case, whoever is lined up has insisted he brings his own backroom staff in, which might be the reason so many have been shown the door?
That makes sense but what doesn't make sense is that if we've booted everyone on that premise we must be 100% sure the new team are coming in and therefore could announce this rather than have a limbo status here if it's true I expect an announcement tomorrow
This user liked this post: Zom Zom

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:45 am

BabylonClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:39 am
...if it's true I expect an announcement tomorrow
Fingers crossed

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 am

Hipper wrote:

When the manager is bringing in aged 30+ players and you want resale value to support your business model, that is exactly the right way to manage a team.

BabylonClaret

Post by BabylonClaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:52 am

Zom Zom wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:45 am
Fingers crossed
I think we need to cross more than fingers!!! It would probably the first appintmemt made where there were no press rumours at all in advance

Steddyman
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Steddyman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:58 am

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 am
This is a good article which sums up how I and many Burnley supporters appear to feel right now while acknowledging there are important unanswered questions: https://www.football365.com/news/opinio ... ubs-future
It doesn't represent my views. We were almostly certainly going to be mirroring the trajectory of Bolton and Blackpool without a change.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2235 times
Has Liked: 2135 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:21 am

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:38 am
Because they have plunged us into debt and got rid of the most successful manager that we’ve had since Harry Potts? He’s the reason why we were an established PL club that they could frigging buy in the first place!

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1183 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:29 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:21 am
Because they have plunged us into debt and got rid of the most successful manager that we’ve had since Harry Potts? He’s the reason why we were an established PL club that they could frigging buy in the first place!
They don’t give a flying fig about that all that’s of interest to them is making money & the cause for concern were investments plummeting, you should know that & you probably do without me reminding you.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:37 pm

Steddyman wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:58 am
It doesn't represent my views. We were almostly certainly going to be mirroring the trajectory of Bolton and Blackpool without a change.
Fair enough. I think it represents many supporters' views though. Hopefully the trajectory you refer to won't happen but I feel it's more likely without Dyche than with him.

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:05 pm

ive not read any of this thread but i assume people have heard the rumours regarding Dyche and Duncan Ferguson after the Everton game. .

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:07 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:05 pm
ive not read any of this thread but i assume people have heard the rumours regarding Dyche and Duncan Ferguson after the Everton game. .
And if anyone who believes these rumours could get in touch with me, I have a bridge to sell you.

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:13 pm

pushpinpussy wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:05 pm
Tough call, but I’d back Ferguson in a fair fight.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3153 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:25 pm

Blakesboots wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:13 pm
Tough call, but I’d back Ferguson in a fair fight.
I thought the rumour was they teamed up

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:28 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:07 pm
And if anyone who believes these rumours could get in touch with me, I have a bridge to sell you.
You're going to regret that, your phone will be ringing off the hook

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:32 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:25 pm
I thought the rumour was they teamed up
I have no idea about that.

I’d take Lampard in a swop

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2350 times
Has Liked: 3178 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:01 pm

taio wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:12 am
Poor article, in my opinion. Ian King talks generality about "finances" nothing specific to Burnley. He says nothing about relegation clauses and the reduction of wages outside Premier League.

Surely, best decision for any owner (why does King prefer to "hedge fund?" ALK are not hedge fund) is to do whatever they can to keep the team in the Premier League. Agreed, Sean Dyche has been in this situation before and managed to stay up. But, as Sean Dyche has always told us "the last one doesn't owe you the next one." That probably explains why the decision comes so late in the season.

Games is kicking off shortly.

COME ON YOU BURNLEY CLARETS.

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:04 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:21 am
Literally every other club has debt. The debt is serviceable, not all debt is bad debt. And the Dyche that was sacked wasn’t the same Dyche that performed miracles from 2012-2019. Don’t be so short sighted. We will be fine.
These 2 users liked this post: Paul Waine Blakesboots

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:06 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:04 pm
Literally every other club has debt. The debt is serviceable, not all debt is bad debt. And the Dyche that was sacked wasn’t the same Dyche that performed miracles from 2012-2019. Don’t be so short sighted. We will be fine.
I have a feeling those words will come back to haunt you !!!

gandhisflipflop

Post by gandhisflipflop » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:10 pm

paulatky wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:06 pm
I have a feeling those words will come back to haunt you !!!
They may well do, but it’s like the whole fan base is **** scared of change. The owners need time to turn the ship around, and in my opinion they will get it right.
These 2 users liked this post: Blakesboots RVclaret

Blakesboots

Post by Blakesboots » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:11 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Totally agree

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Zom Zom wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:24 am

What’s your evidence that Pace is a “shrewd” businessman? As far as I can see, most of what wealth he has accumulated appears to have been from paid employment. Paying massively over the odds for a lower-ranking Premier League football club that was always likely to get relegated sooner or later, awarding its most important employee a huge 4 year contract and then sacking him 9 months later doesn’t appear particularly “shrewd” to me.
These 2 users liked this post: paulatky tiger76

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:30 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Here here!!

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:32 pm

I'm really looking forward to CTs article on Dyche’s time here.
It will be a good read not withstanding the sad ending.

Whatever the rights and wrongs its been a great journey.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2009 times
Has Liked: 2904 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:40 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:32 pm
I'm really looking forward to CTs article on Dyche’s time here.
It will be a good read not withstanding the sad ending.

Whatever the rights and wrongs its been a great journey.
Like anyone sensible, Tony I’m sure will be waiting until there is some substance as to why it happened before fastening his colours to the mast. People are jumping to conclusions for all we know it may have been a gang bang in the Directors lounge that Pace walked in on that cost SD’s crew their jobs.
(Not suggesting it was.. btw)

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:42 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:
Where’s the £70m that’s due by the end of June going to come from if we are relegated.

Having a £500,000 with a salary of £100,000 is fine but if that salary drops to £30,000 ………….

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm

paulatky wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:42 pm
Where’s the £70m that’s due by the end of June going to come from if we are relegated.

Having a £500,000 with a salary of £100,000 is fine but if that salary drops to £30,000 ………….
FACT is we don’t know, nor can we do anything to find out? Do we know for example if a major investor has stipulated they would only get involved under a different manager? No.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:57 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:50 pm
FACT is we don’t know, nor can we do anything to find out? Do we know for example if a major investor has stipulated they would only get involved under a different manager? No.
So where don't have the full picture people will form a view based on what we do know. That is the club was taken over using a leverage buyout and the club's substantial cash reserves which has led to significant debt. I believe the debt is serviceable while we retain PL revenues but in the event we don't we could be in real trouble. That level of risk doesn't sit comfortable with me especially when it is only a matter of time before we are relegated given the huge over-achievement under Dyche.
This user liked this post: paulatky

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:57 pm
So where don't have the full picture people will form a view based on what we do know. That is the club was taken over using a leverage buyout and the club's substantial cash reserves which has led to significant debt. I believe the debt is serviceable while we retain PL revenues but in the event we don't we could be in real trouble. That level of risk doesn't sit comfortable with me especially when it is only a matter of time before we are relegated given the huge over-achievement under Dyche.
The club was sold because the owner and manager didn’t have the respect for each other to even be in the same room. We had no signings because we had a chairman who could not balance his need to make the club successful with the fact he would also make Dyche even less sackable. We were heading down and any pot we had to **** in would have evaporated soon enough, with no chance of things getting better. The club was sold to the group who looked less like charlatans than the others that wanted it.

As I understand it there was not a queue of people breaking down the door to take over and a chairman who just wanted out.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:11 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:06 pm
The club was sold because the owner and manager didn’t have the respect for each other to even be in the same room. We had no signings because we had a chairman who could not balance his need to make the club successful with the fact he would also make Dyche even less sackable. We were heading down and any pot we had to **** in would have evaporated soon enough, with no chance of things getting better. The club was sold to the group who looked less like charlatans than the others that wanted it.

As I understand it there was not a queue of people breaking down the door to take over and a chairman who just wanted out.
And the difference now is if we go down we do so with significant debt.

We made no signings towards the end of Garlick's tenure because Pace needed the cash in the bank to enable the acquisition.

elwaclaret

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:12 pm

taio wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:11 pm
And the difference now is if we go down we do so with significant debt.

We made no signings towards the end of Garlick's tenure because Pace needed the cash in the bank to enable the acquisition.
I’d be very careful about making assumptions like that, and even more careful about writing them down.

taio

Post by taio » Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:15 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:12 pm
I’d be very careful about making assumptions like that, and even more careful about writing them down.
I don't need to be careful. I'm happy to repeat that Pace relied upon the club's cash reserves in order to buy the club and the size of those cash reserves occurred because of a lack of player purchases in Garlick's final transfer window.