Scott Parker

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4188 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Re: Scott Parker

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:18 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:13 pm
They prefer a gilet at Bournemouth
That will soon change if they gave the job to Tim Sherwood :D

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:24 pm

Jack Ross also sacked as Dundee Utd boss after a 9-0 drubbing, the moral of this story seems to be don't get gubbed 9-0.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:29 pm

I think it is very harsh to sack him now.

He seems a decentish sort. Won with greater resources but now struggling with lesser resources.

1) I was never bluffed by his hair and sweaty appearance as a player - he was OK but no hero;
2) I was never bluffed by his BS about how HE coached players and HE strategised.

In summary, me, me, me, meh.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3084 times
Has Liked: 5066 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:33 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:02 am
Hell of a pitch to the next manager is that. In other words, the next manager needs to come in and try she save them from relegation with a squad Parker just said was “ underequipped at this level”.
To be fair to the owner you can't have the tail wag the dog.
I feel sorry for Parker, but forgetting the results, you can't have a manager at odds, openly, with the owners.
VK is under similar restrictions to a lesser extent, but has already acknowledged that he is aligned with Pace. There are bound to have been private discussions that we don't have the facts of as well.
It doesn't do the team, or the next manager any favours.

Steddyman
Been Liked: 625 times
Has Liked: 492 times

Post by Steddyman » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:39 pm

I saw a news article earlier saying Bournemouth have been speaking to Dyche.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:39 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:09 pm
Bournemouth have massive debts - all owed to the owner. The latest set of accounts say that the owner would only ask for the loan to be repaid when the club was able to repay. But, I've read something a few weeks ago that said the owner had now decided that he wants his loan repaying.

Bournemouth have been a regular user of Macquarie to accelerate the money from outgoing transfers. I wonder if the owner has been in touch with MSD about a loan - to be used to repay some of the money the club owes him?

Bit late in the transfer window to be bringing in a new manager/coach.
Isn't the owner in a mood because he can't get permission for a new stadium or something like that, meaning he'd have to fund Bournemouth for the entire time he remains as owner if they want to stay in the PL?

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:16 am
Was looking at some of the figures yesterday, the PL has moved way beyond us now.
I think this has been the case for a long time. The only thing that will save football as we know it (captain) is for it to implode on itself financially and get back to some kind of reality. This time may come sooner than some think though as I was reading a recent article about Sky Sports and their PL viewing figures are dropping steadily. If this trend continues then advertisers will vote with their feet and suddenly Sky will start looking at how much they pay out.
I have nothing personally against the big clubs but what we really need to see is one of them in serious financial trouble to the point of collapse with reduced Sky money and see where that takes us. Of course the billionaires may stay on for a while but maybe even they will jump ship if and when the over hyped PL loses its shine.
We all want to be in the top league but the reality is most clubs can’t afford to compete, even some alleged big ones, and for that reason alone relegation did not cause me any loss of sleep and what we are watching this season so far from our club is far superior to pretty much anything we’ve seen in the last few years. I would like us to win the Championship this season (and we are looking more and more capable) but it’s a poisoned chalice. If we do, or even if we win promotion at all, it’s back to playing teams who live in a different universe and just hoping to ‘finish 17th’ in order to keep earning the money that is never enough for us to compete anyway.
I readily admit to writing this with complete bias as I have loathed the PL and all it stands for pretty much since it started, and certainly in the last 15 years, but I hope it does make some sense. If I didn’t love Burnley FC so much I think I would have turned my back on the game years ago, at least in this country.
These 7 users liked this post: welsbyswife GodIsADeeJay81 JimmyRobbo Guller Bull longsidepies winsomeyen aclaretinstevenage

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:05 pm

I think a large proportion of real football fans would agree with Houseboy. Nail on the head.

welsbyswife
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by welsbyswife » Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:08 pm

The only thing is that if Sky does decide that it isn't worth offering so much for the broadcast rights to a point where it pulls out that will add more pressure for individual clubs to stream games and charge for their own content that way. That would disproportionately benefit the big clubs as opposed to the collective arrangement we currently have. Even if that is flawed because it is so heavily weighted to the top flight.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:30 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:12 am
Spending in PL this season has been frightening. Half the league might top £100m by Thursday.
gone past £1 billion net and likely to go some way beyond similar with £2 billion mark for overall spend which is likely to be trashed -so much of it is on the never/never - clubs are likely to get burned (though a number will be able to accommodate that)

As I have said on the MMT a few times now - a lot is down to the surge in UEFA monies and and future UEFA rules around Financial sustainability which kick in in a couple of years time

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:32 pm

welsbyswife wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:08 pm
The only thing is that if Sky does decide that it isn't worth offering so much for the broadcast rights to a point where it pulls out that will add more pressure for individual clubs to stream games and charge for their own content that way. That would disproportionately benefit the big clubs as opposed to the collective arrangement we currently have. Even if that is flawed because it is so heavily weighted to the top flight.
.... which could in turn see them f... off to a European Super League then we can have our football back.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm

houseboy wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:57 pm
I think this has been the case for a long time. The only thing that will save football as we know it (captain) is for it to implode on itself financially and get back to some kind of reality. This time may come sooner than some think though as I was reading a recent article about Sky Sports and their PL viewing figures are dropping steadily. If this trend continues then advertisers will vote with their feet and suddenly Sky will start looking at how much they pay out.
I have nothing personally against the big clubs but what we really need to see is one of them in serious financial trouble to the point of collapse with reduced Sky money and see where that takes us. Of course the billionaires may stay on for a while but maybe even they will jump ship if and when the over hyped PL loses its shine.
We all want to be in the top league but the reality is most clubs can’t afford to compete, even some alleged big ones, and for that reason alone relegation did not cause me any loss of sleep and what we are watching this season so far from our club is far superior to pretty much anything we’ve seen in the last few years. I would like us to win the Championship this season (and we are looking more and more capable) but it’s a poisoned chalice. If we do, or even if we win promotion at all, it’s back to playing teams who live in a different universe and just hoping to ‘finish 17th’ in order to keep earning the money that is never enough for us to compete anyway.
I readily admit to writing this with complete bias as I have loathed the PL and all it stands for pretty much since it started, and certainly in the last 15 years, but I hope it does make some sense. If I didn’t love Burnley FC so much I think I would have turned my back on the game years ago, at least in this country.
I have previously suggested that sustained Premier League status was more important to the economy of the town than the needs of the club. I still stand by that

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:52 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm
I have previously suggested that sustained Premier League status was more important to the economy of the town than the needs of the club. I still stand by that
Could you show me where you explained this concept please?

If about actual finance, does the money the club get really go to the town? Most of it, I would have thought, goes to the players and management and they generally do not live in the town. In terms of attendance money, is it possible that a successful Championship club, who might also have a cup run or two, could get more people into the town then the lesser number of matches in the Premier League.

Or is it about prestige, name on the map type of thing?

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:10 pm

Hipper wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:52 pm
Could you show me where you explained this concept please?

If about actual finance, does the money the club get really go to the town? Most of it, I would have thought, goes to the players and management and they generally do not live in the town. In terms of attendance money, is it possible that a successful Championship club, who might also have a cup run or two, could get more people into the town then the lesser number of matches in the Premier League.

Or is it about prestige, name on the map type of thing?
it is all on the MMT - around the economic benefit, there is a growing amount of serious academic study about it - most famously Liverpool commissioned Deloitte to look at the economic befits Champions League participation brought to the Merseyside region (over £400m a year in around 2018) it was used to support planning applications to enlarge Anfield and make changes to local infrastructure

Brighton commissioned Deloitte for one also for similar reasons and it showed well over £100m a year added to the local economy

In the Premier League the smallest direct economic comes from the club itself in terms of the wages and sourcing from local businesses, the inward investment, tourism (both matchday and general) and other spend is really rather significant probably in the region of £70m - £100m
This user liked this post: Hipper

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 3192 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:32 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:00 am
Is this because of the 9-0 result or his s**t jackets/cardigans
The latter!.......and all that prancing about.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3437 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:00 pm

Hipper wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:32 pm
.... which could in turn see them f... off to a European Super League then we can have our football back.
Other clubs with money would replace them at the top of our footballing tree, so we'd be no better off tbh

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:17 pm

quoonbeatz wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:36 am
Crap player, crap manager.
I’m not sure he was a crap player? He would have done a job for us at his peak.
This user liked this post: aclaretinstevenage

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 1007 times
Has Liked: 2048 times

Post by LeadBelly » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:31 pm

Aye, not crap at all, he was a very decent player. Donkey-work midfielder of the type all teams need but often not recognised.

486 senior club appearances over c 20 years including 128 Charlton, 15 Chelsea, 55 Newcastle, 113 WHU, 50 Spurs, 119 Fulham
Plus 18 senior England caps (and a smattering of age group caps prior to that).
These 2 users liked this post: Jamesy tiger76

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:33 pm

LeadBelly wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:31 pm
Aye, not crap at all, he was a very decent player. Donkey-work midfielder of the type all teams need but often not recognised.

486 senior club appearances over c 20 years including 128 Charlton, 15 Chelsea, 55 Newcastle, 113 WHU, 50 Spurs, 119 Fulham
Plus 18 senior England caps (and a smattering of age group caps prior to that).
Defo pal. Very decent in my opinion.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5210 times
Has Liked: 921 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:38 pm

Plus he won PFA Young Player of the Year in 2004 and Football Writers PotY and England PotY in 2011.

Also for someone who has only had 3 full seasons as a manager, winning 2 promotions to the Premier League is hardly crap. You could argue it was maybe expected and nothing special but to call him a crap manager is a little ignorant

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:05 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:17 pm
I’m not sure he was a crap player? He would have done a job for us at his peak.
I am sure.

We were in the championship when he was at his peak (which was still crap).

houseboy
Been Liked: 2240 times
Has Liked: 1618 times

Post by houseboy » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:33 pm
I kind of agree and kind of don’t. Yes a football league side keeps the town in the public eye, although with the massive media bias now toward the PL it means that EFL teams get far less mention now than they used to. But some towns, notably Burnley, do get known because of their football club. In fact I think Burnley are a town only known for football and very little else. So it does great in that sense. Does it bring money in? Well visiting fans do bring money in and of course the PL has bigger clubs with more visitors but does it make that much? I’m not certain.
I know you quoted after your post about Deloitte carrying out surveys etc but what are the criteria based on? I fail to see any major advantage to a town/city financially for having a PL side other than anything accidental like bigger attendances and more visiting fans and what they bring I would imagine would be relatively small in the overall scheme. I certainly don’t think or believe that places get major investors as a result of having a PL team so I’m not sure where that argument comes from.
I do not believe however that PL status benefits the town more than the club. Burnley FC have benefitted to the tune of tens (hundreds) of millions of pounds from the PL, I would like to know if the town made anywhere near that, I suspect the answer is merely a small fraction.
Anyway it’s an interesting argument (but I still loathe the money machine that is the PL). 😁

claretburns
Been Liked: 861 times
Has Liked: 334 times

Post by claretburns » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:25 pm

From BBC:

"Now Bournemouth need to act quickly and find a good manager who does accept the challenge of trying to work sustainably while fighting to avoid the drop."

Sounds like someone we know.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:55 am

houseboy wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:15 pm
I kind of agree and kind of don’t. Yes a football league side keeps the town in the public eye, although with the massive media bias now toward the PL it means that EFL teams get far less mention now than they used to. But some towns, notably Burnley, do get known because of their football club. In fact I think Burnley are a town only known for football and very little else. So it does great in that sense. Does it bring money in? Well visiting fans do bring money in and of course the PL has bigger clubs with more visitors but does it make that much? I’m not certain.
I know you quoted after your post about Deloitte carrying out surveys etc but what are the criteria based on? I fail to see any major advantage to a town/city financially for having a PL side other than anything accidental like bigger attendances and more visiting fans and what they bring I would imagine would be relatively small in the overall scheme. I certainly don’t think or believe that places get major investors as a result of having a PL team so I’m not sure where that argument comes from.
I do not believe however that PL status benefits the town more than the club. Burnley FC have benefitted to the tune of tens (hundreds) of millions of pounds from the PL, I would like to know if the town made anywhere near that, I suspect the answer is merely a small fraction.
Anyway it’s an interesting argument (but I still loathe the money machine that is the PL). 😁
with you on the last point

I find it interesting that the last decade has seen the population of the town grow significantly after almost a hundred years of growth

I accept that some of this is down to improved infrastructure etc but most of that inward government investment has cone since we first returned to the top flight and not coincidentally since those done the road fell away from it

It is amazing given their overall attitude to football just how much the government uses the premier league in its foreign relations and trade missions - I realise a lot of this relates back to the Ben Wickes discussions on the takeover thread and northern powerhouse, but it is amazing just how much a small town can benefit from and extended period in the top flight
This user liked this post: houseboy

claret2018
Been Liked: 819 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:06 pm

I’d take those Deloitte/PWC reports with a giant pinch of salt.

Pay them enough and they’ll write anything you like (I used to work for one of them).

bf2k
Been Liked: 336 times
Has Liked: 1516 times

Post by bf2k » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:15 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:16 am
Was looking at some of the figures yesterday, the PL has moved way beyond us now.
I fear you are correct there. I think for teams like Burnley to "compete" in the PL the European Super League needs to happen to level up the next tier.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8743 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:28 pm

agreenwood wrote:
Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 am
Sounds like the owner didn’t like him asking for money to spend.
Public dissent is not a good look.

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:09 pm

There's a sign in front of St Peters center that says Tourism is worth £2.5 million annually.to Burnley. A pitiful figure if true and puts the football club influence on the local economy in context. I reckon I'm contributing a greater share than Burnley FC, relatively speaking.

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:42 am

Marty Dobson wrote:
Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:09 pm
There's a sign in front of St Peters center that says Tourism is worth £2.5 million annually.to Burnley. A pitiful figure if true and puts the football club influence on the local economy in context.
Was there a figure for grief tourism? Must contribute billions in Blackburn.

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:01 am

He’s best out of top flight management. I’m guessing he has shouldered too much responsibility. Who is going to be next? I think Both Steven Gerrard and Frank Lampard will be gone by the end of this month.

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:15 pm

No real surprise that Bournemouth appear to be up for sale

AFC Bournemouth Owner Revives Sale of Premier League Club
Owner Maxim Demin has appointed California-based advisory firm
Club was promoted to lucrative English Premier League

https://archive.ph/kxvZE