Dyche v Kompany

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: Dyche v Kompany

Post by CnBtruntru » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:42 am

Maybe another question would be who would manage this team better, Dyche or Company.
I think people tend to forget the team with Ings and Vokes were sensational. My opinion of course, but looking at this team we have now, the pace is unbelievable and that is what is amazing about this team, totally different to what we have seen in years.

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 587 times

Post by Enola Gay » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:09 am

Wood would bag hatfuls in this current side.

He was made to look awful by our diseased tactics over the last couple of seasons he was here but for that spell when we had Brady, Defour and to a lesser extent JBG playing football and creating chances he was as good as any of them.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:03 am

All I know is we have had two Managers putting Burnley in positions some of us never thought we would see again.

Dyche worked wonders and gave us not only a siege mentality but a winning one.

Unfortunately all was not well behind the scenes, I think Garlick was intimidated after the honeymoon finished but chose to fight back by not communicating.

Dyche himself was losing respect behind the scenes over his last 2 seasons. Maybe his way of trying to show calm was okay for the media but I think some of our Senior players resented the bubble was bursting.

Kompany has done a fantastic job in such a small period of time and having us top of the League is testament to his obvious talent. The plethora of young starlets emerging shows cohesion between him and the Board. That to me is the reason he now manages us and not Dyche.

I'm very much forward looking and consign Dyche to the 'Great for us over his tenure' file but have limited interest in him or our former players now.
Had Dyche remained I believe we would be languishing in the bottom third with an overaged one dimensional squad and more chance of going down than up.
These 4 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie cockneyclaret 1882Clarets1882 Quicknick

Newcastleclaret93
Been Liked: 1573 times
Has Liked: 360 times

Post by Newcastleclaret93 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:32 am

No Ney Never wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:45 pm
After 23 games, VK's Championship squad is doing better than either of SD's.

Championship 22/23
P23 GD22 PTS 47 1st

Championship 15/16
P23 GD 7 PTS 38. 5th

Championship 13/14
P23 GD17 PTS 44 3rd
Good points but the championship has never been this poor before so not sure it shows the picture your saying.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:33 am

Dyche did a great job, but I spend very little time thinking about him 8 months on.

It’s clear given the number of threads on the top page today that some of you expend a fair bit of grey matter in his direction.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10257 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:58 am

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:58 pm
Some people are barmy if they think that VK is naive.
He knows we are a work in process, and is happy to take any blows that we might get, as long as the team is learning.
It's a risk process alien to everything SD stood for, and that's not meant as a criticism, just a fact.
Comparing VK and SD is pointless, 2 different jobs, at 2 different times. VK is a breath of fresh air, but the club will always be grateful to SD and the miracles he performed.
Excellent, Colburn.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:01 am

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:32 am
Good points but the championship has never been this poor before so not sure it shows the picture your saying.
It was the same last year. A very average Bournemouth team under Parker came 2nd.

Not too sure there was much about it the season we got promoted first under Dyche either.

It’s a bit of a myth that it’s ‘never been this poor’.
These 3 users liked this post: lesxdp Greenmile Quicknick

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1751 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:05 am

RVclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:01 am
It was the same last year. A very average Bournemouth team under Parker came 2nd.

Not too sure there was much about it the season we got promoted first under Dyche either.

It’s a bit of a myth that it’s ‘never been this poor’.
Oh dear. You’ve broken one of the golden rules.

NEVER underestimate Newcastleclaret’s in depth knowledge on EVERY topic. He’ll come into his own next month when we get his overview of a few 2nd tier Latvian League strikers.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:07 am

Can only compare the first season of VK and that of Sean
VK lost 10 first team squad Sean lost three and brought in three from memory
VK brought in 16
Most of Sean’s team in 13-14 was Eddies most of VK’s team is his
If we go up as Champions VK shades it
If we stay down SD shades it so far IMO

DanH90
Been Liked: 131 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by DanH90 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:23 pm

A lot of discussion on this topic and you’ve all managed to fully change my opinion.

I now believe Vincent and his boys would give Dyche’s Dinosaurs a thoroughly good drubbing.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1704 times
Has Liked: 790 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:42 pm

One is "old school", knows how to make you very hard to beat, strong defensively with beliefs and opinions that cannot be influenced-but it worked very well for 8 of his 10 year tenure
The other is very much modern day thinking-coaching, communication, planner who breeds great harmony in the club and with the players
No prizes for guessing who is who. For me a brilliant appointment in VK who is proving that all the things that were impossible, are indeed possible , for two examples loans, and scouting abroad.Plus he is getting the best of his coaching team

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3804 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:58 pm

SD has alot of qualities, defensive hardworking direct football, good at signing defenders/goalkeepers. Tactical nous? 4 4 ******* 2 is not tactical nous, throwing another striker on the pitch when losing is not tactical nous.

I know who's side I'd rather watch every day of the week and it's not 4 4 ******* 2 brexit and hit it long. If you look in depth at VK and SD's systems, the tactical little tweaks is night and day.
This user liked this post: Pickles

Pickles
Been Liked: 1392 times
Has Liked: 1226 times

Post by Pickles » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:01 pm

Kompany will manage at the top of the game. Dyche will do well to manage mid-table Premier League again.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:02 pm

mdd2 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:07 am
Can only compare the first season of VK and that of Sean
VK lost 10 first team squad Sean lost three and brought in three from memory
VK brought in 16
Most of Sean’s team in 13-14 was Eddies most of VK’s team is his
If we go up as Champions VK shades it
If we stay down SD shades it so far IMO
Compare Dyche's last Championship season with this one, we're absolutely blowing sides away this season with attacking football, we're making good sides at this level look like cannon fodder. As good as that Dyche promotion season was, we were incredibly fortunate and boring in a lot of games. Michael Keane last minute header away at Brighton and then home to Boro. We just had that weird knack of burying that 1 chance and clinging on.

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:05 pm

Arguably our best performance was 45 minutes away at Brentford, we hung on in the end to win 3-2. This VK side is a different beast, we have the ability to flick a switch, turn it on for 20 minutes and absolutely blow any side at this level away.

daveisaclaret
Been Liked: 1164 times
Has Liked: 94 times

Post by daveisaclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:14 pm

Could the people who don't think Dyche's tactics were complicated or difficult explain why other teams don't just copy what he did? Given the massive overachievement that wasn't matched by any other team in the Dyche era without throwing money at it and whatnot.

VK clearly plays a more entertaining style than Dyche but the one time a team has been successful getting physical with us this season we folded and they thrashed us. Points to a Dyche win in a head to head, I reckon.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:15 pm

Pickles wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:01 pm
Kompany will manage at the top of the game. Dyche will do well to manage mid-table Premier League again.
Thing is, we'd have said that Dyche will manage at the very top when he got us to 7th and into Europe

No one mentions that now, its all about how he kept us up by playing attrional football, and I don't see how he or his advisors can change the narrative

Even when we played good football, the vast majority of pundits and fans dismissed us as longball merchants

KRBFC

Post by KRBFC » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:17 pm

daveisaclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:14 pm
Could the people who don't think Dyche's tactics were complicated or difficult explain why other teams don't just copy what he did? Given the massive overachievement that wasn't matched by any other team in the Dyche era without throwing money at it and whatnot.

VK clearly plays a more entertaining style than Dyche but the one time a team has been successful getting physical with us this season we folded and they thrashed us. Points to a Dyche win in a head to head, I reckon.
Almost every side has tried to get physical with us and failed. Almost every side has tried to sit deep and timewaste. Big Sam was playing 442 with Bolton with Kevin Davies upfront before Dyche was even a manager.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:32 pm

Looking at some of the posts on this thread you wonder how Dyche managed to win any games at all for us given his one dimensional long ball 4-4-2 hoof ball.

He just got incredibly lucky overseeing the most successful period in Burnley’s history in half a century.

So so lucky in generating more revenue than any manager in the clubs history.

Absolute jammy fooker buying and developing players who gained more England appearances than any burnley manager has for 60 years.

Extremely fortunate to manage a team that gave us more victories over our arch rivals than any burnley manager for several decades.

Massive slice of luck insisting we built a state of the art of training facility.

Incredible that somebody so clueless can keep the club in the premier league for longer than any other manager has in the history of that league on the equivalent budget and resources.

The quicker we put behind us this horrendous chapter in our clubs history the better.
This user liked this post: GaryClaret

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:15 pm
Thing is, we'd have said that Dyche will manage at the very top when he got us to 7th and into Europe

No one mentions that now, its all about how he kept us up by playing attrional football, and I don't see how he or his advisors can change the narrative

Even when we played good football, the vast majority of pundits and fans dismissed us as longball merchants
Dyche's way worked.

But overall he showed a limited array of ways to play. I've seen Kompany change a game more times in half an hour than Dyche did in about two seasons.

As for 7th and Europe? I wasn't saying Dyche could manage at the top. In fact it was that season where I suspect - although with no proof - that Dyche's chances of getting a so called top job began to really decline.

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:50 pm

Pickles wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:47 pm
Dyche's way worked.

But overall he showed a limited array of ways to play. I've seen Kompany change a game more times in half an hour than Dyche did in about two seasons.

As for 7th and Europe? I wasn't saying Dyche could manage at the top. In fact it was that season where I suspect - although with no proof - that Dyche's chances of getting a so called top job began to really decline.
Well, the fact that no one took a punt on him did rather suggest that clubs weren't sure, but I remain convinced that if he's been called Van Dyche or Dychio he'd have walked into one

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:01 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:50 pm
Well, the fact that no one took a punt on him did rather suggest that clubs weren't sure, but I remain convinced that if he's been called Van Dyche or Dychio he'd have walked into one
Exactly. It'd be a punt.

Dyche isn't getting a top job because teams don't want to play the way they know a Dyche team plays. He can come across a little strange, cocky too. I'm still cringing at some of his interviews. And he's used to being in total control of a football club, with no proof he can work with a Director of Football, transfer committee etc.

I didn't think a Premier League side would come in for him when he was at Burnley, and I think it less now.

He was good for us. But the game moves on. As should some Burnley fans.
This user liked this post: Lancasterclaret

Lancasterclaret

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:04 pm

Pickles wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:01 pm
Exactly. It'd be a punt.

Dyche isn't getting a top job because teams don't want to play the way they know a Dyche team plays. He can come across a little strange, cocky too. I'm still cringing at some of his interviews. And he's used to being in total control of a football club, with no proof he can work with a Director of Football, transfer committee etc.

I didn't think a Premier League side would come in for him when he was at Burnley, and I think it less now.

He was good for us. But the game moves on. As should some Burnley fans.
Oh god yes to the last sentence

Pickles

Post by Pickles » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:10 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:04 pm
Oh yes. We're top and playing some sumptuous soccer.

Big Vinny K
Been Liked: 1031 times
Has Liked: 280 times

Post by Big Vinny K » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:23 pm

I do not know a single Burnley fan who is not happy with VK or who has not “moved on’ from Dyche.

That is different, however, from not appreciating and respecting the success he had at the club or even worse criticising Dyche for not playing as attractive football as VK.

To be still talking about SD’s approach to making substitutions is pretty much the definition of ‘not moving on” !!

Lets just appreciate we have been very lucky to have had a manager as successful and good as Dyche for such a long period and hope that the fantastic start that VK has had gives us half the success we had under Dyche. Because if it does we will have been blessed with an unbelievable period in our clubs history.

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 895 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:28 pm

Newcastleclaret93 wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:32 am
I'm not showing any picture, just facts.
Dyche v Kompany, Ternent v Mullen, etc. Each one came along at the right time and were fantastic, leaving the club in a better place than when they arrived.
Each had pros and cons, no one is perfect, loved each of them and would happily do it all over again.

Shaggy
Been Liked: 394 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by Shaggy » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:02 pm

Kompany is just different gravy to Dyche. There’s levels to this game and Dyche isn’t close to Big VKs

wbfc
Been Liked: 110 times

Post by wbfc » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:29 pm

No need to compare... each did well we had at least 3 good years performances on the pitch from SD ... a lot of the rest was really hard to watch..but given the lack of investment not sure he could have done it any different...

VK has donne brilliant so far ...but will be a big Challenge to keep the side in the Premier...but a change was needed

Remember the good times with SD ...one day we will have to do the same with VK but once a manger has gone why so many think about them so much is beyond me ...this is a BFC message board not a SD one ..

Dano1bfc
Been Liked: 79 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Dano1bfc » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:00 pm

Why do we need to compare ?
If we must…
2 Championship promotions at 93 points . The first on v limited budget. Then a European place in the prem on a limited budget again. Sean is a legend there is no debate.
Vinny is providing sensational football and I love watching this team. However anybody who thinks Sean’s football was always route one is deluded .. see goals against Everton away in the prem for Hendrick and Wigan at home for Barney.
For the record I think we’d have beaten Leicester at home with Vokes and Ings available in the first promotion season. When a certain Wood scored. That could have lead to a ANOTHER Championship winning season.
I think we will win the league again this year the strength in depth is incredible . Vinny is a top manager.
However to compare the two is impossible …different times and different circumstances. However I’d back Vinny in the cup 😂
To be controversial Eddie and Horse Face have contributed massively to where we find ourselves today .
Enjoy the ride .

chipbutty
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 132 times

Post by chipbutty » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:21 am

Spiral wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:27 pm
Some of the best days I've ever had watching Burnley. That Steven Defour/early Chris Wood/peak Ashley Barnes period of a few years was glorious.
Yes, but are you 7 years old?

HiThere
Been Liked: 274 times
Has Liked: 505 times

Post by HiThere » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:08 am

chipbutty wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:21 am
Yes, but are you 7 years old?
That is so Lee Mack!

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6492 times
Has Liked: 2919 times

Post by Steve1956 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:24 pm

If Kompany was tempted to leave us in January for a top job,would any of the posters that are madly in love with Dyche welcome him back to finish off the promotion
push this season and carry on the great job Kompany has done,I think with the players we Currently have ...Dyche might f**k it up......isn't it time we moved on from him?

ClaretCliff
Been Liked: 187 times
Has Liked: 135 times

Post by ClaretCliff » Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:47 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:04 pm
Couldn’t agree more Lancaster, we should move on from Dyche.

Can we also move on from brexit please.