The Sun again - Kompany & Spurs

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jedi_master
Been Liked: 3606 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Re: The Sun again - Kompany & Spurs

Post by jedi_master » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:12 am

I hear the argument of “Why would he go to Spurs? If he failed there he’ll never get the City job”. The reality is if he ‘fails’ at Burnley in the Premier League (I.e, relegation/sacked) then the same is probably true.

I dearly hope there is nothing in it as I don’t see a world where any Burnley manager turns down the Spurs managers job. I think that’s highly unlikely in any circumstance. He’d surely have to take it.
This user liked this post: BurnleyFC

SouthLondonexile
Been Liked: 84 times
Has Liked: 249 times

Post by SouthLondonexile » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:19 am

All I would say is I’m never surprised at what happens in football.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:33 am

No idea whether VK will go to Spurs or not, but all these rumours aren't going away however unfounded they might be.

Vinny didn't really say anything unusual in his presser when linked to a bigger job, but equally he didn't rule himself out if Spurs do come calling.

If I had to bet I'd say he'll probably stay at Burnley, but I can see why he'd be interested in the Spurs gig.

That's the price of success bigger clubs will always be eyeing up progressive young managers, and VK definitely falls into that category.

And I only hope Pace has a list of possible successors if the worst should happen.

BurnleyFC
Been Liked: 1623 times
Has Liked: 892 times

Post by BurnleyFC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:38 am

If he gets offered it, he’ll take it and I’ll be gutted but always thankful.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:42 am

The players and fans are in awe of him at Burnley such is his legendary out of our league status, consequently his every word is believed and acted upon.
At Spurs he will be that bloke who played against us numerous times and player x or y gave him the run round, operated etc, here we compare him to Dyche,Cotterill, Coyle etc so he is on a pedestal, Spurs it is Conte, Pochettino Mourinho etc so it will be Poch would have done that, Conte wouldn't have lost that etc.
He needs to build his reputation with us for a while then move up the club size league before City come knocking. If Pep was to advise him I'm sure he'd advise him to stay.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:45 am

Mental that this whole thing has been started by a Sun 'journalist' with 700 followers on Twitter and whose bio which reads 'You can't make it up', blown up by Talksport and their garbage pundits who have jumped on it for clicks and now Sky Sports are sending journalists to capture headlines off the back of it. Zero class, any of them.
These 4 users liked this post: NewClaret Bob Lorder Rick_Muller Stayingup

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 2701 times

Post by fatboy47 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:57 am

Going nowhere.

It's all about filling your quota of column inches for at least one of the journalists involved...just relax and enjoy next season everyone.

redcloud203
Been Liked: 25 times
Has Liked: 3 times

Post by redcloud203 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:17 am

Spurs are a top 6 side , fantastic new stadium , large budget and play European football regularly . Nobody could blame him for taking the role but if he goes - hopefully not - what a season to remember he has given us as Burnley fans .

9thMay1987
Been Liked: 70 times

Post by 9thMay1987 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:32 am

From the Spurs perspective they have to get this right. Arsenal are running away from them and will be even better next season.

Can they afford to take a punt on a one season wonder, from a lower division , who didn't achieve much in his home country?

Or do they need a proven experienced European manager to ensure they van compete against Arsenal and the rest.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

brunlea99
Been Liked: 129 times
Has Liked: 314 times

Post by brunlea99 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:02 am

These 4 users liked this post: fatboy47 longsidepies bfcjg Juan Tanamera

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:09 am

Ampth7 wrote:
Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:06 pm
I honestly don’t think that VK will want the Spurs job. I get the fact that they would no doubt pay him more than we can afford but it’s not as though VK is skint! His family are also happy in the North West.

Also, why join a club that never backs its manager and will probably be losing its number 1 asset Harry Kane this summer? To make matters worse, they have a completely deluded fan base who despite everything I’ve just said, somehow expect to be challenging for major honours every year whilst also playing great football!?!? Talk about a recipe for disaster as proven by the last 8 managers to come and go through that club in the last 10 years!
He joined us, who had got rid or were about to get rid of the majority of it’s main assets and had a history of not really backing our manager much!

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 512 times
Has Liked: 1063 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:36 am

I would say that Burnley FC have an excellent history of ɓacking our managers. I would say in recent times there is only Brian Laws who we sacked purely on results and that our turnover of managers would compare favourably with almost any other club. I stand to be corrected.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:05 pm

With Jesse Marsch currently available would this really be a bad thing?

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:15 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:05 pm
With Jesse Marsch currently available would this really be a bad thing?
Yes, very bad but i suspect this was a fishing comment

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1655 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:15 pm

The Sours job is currently poison based on what Conte said, and the philosophy of a club like that is to have people above the coach making the key decisions on transfers (logical if the coach is in a revolving door). Their director of football Paratici has a worldwide ban from FIFA (appealing). The attitude and desire of the players is questionable. The problems at Spurs go far beyond the coach, as Conte alluded to.

So whoever takes that job is almost certain to fail. If that is VK, I understand it. But I would also understand him staying and I think he will.

blake's wand
Been Liked: 54 times

Post by blake's wand » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:23 pm

I don't think Kompany will go - but I don't love the way he has been answering the questions about his future. Just refusal to answer them vs. it would be very easy to just say 'I'm happy here, really looking forward to the challenge next season.

DCWat
Been Liked: 4143 times
Has Liked: 3606 times

Post by DCWat » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:33 pm

jedi_master wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:12 am
I don’t see a world where any Burnley manager turns down the Spurs managers job. I think that’s highly unlikely in any circumstance. He’d surely have to take it.
1) Agreeing to take on a project over the next 2, 3, 4 years
2) Loyalty to those that recruited him
3) Loyalty to those that he has brought in
4) Different aspirations (Man City?)
5) Readiness - he himself may not feel ready for that challenge
6) He may want a big job but not Spurs
7) Failing at Burnley in the Premier League would be far less damaging than failing at Spurs.

The Spurs job is huge, of course it it, but there’s a raft of possible reasons that the Spurs job, right now, might not be in Kompany’s thinking.

Anything can and does happen in football but Kompany strikes me as being quite principled, someone with integrity. I don’t see him moving on so quickly. Nothing will ever surprise me in football though.

I think he’ll have a plan of where he wants to get to, and how he wants to get there, to give himself the very best chance of success.

Taking money (it’s probably not his driver) and the size of the job out of the reckoning, would Spurs be your chosen destination if you had a plan to be as successful as a manager as you were as a player?

They are champions at failing to deliver.

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:36 pm

JarrowClaret wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:09 am
He joined us, who had got rid or were about to get rid of the majority of it’s main assets and had a history of not really backing our manager much!
Interesting point you make. It’s fair to say that Dyche wasn’t backed especially in his last couple of seasons as the owners were trying to sell the club and maximise their profit.

However, in terms of what Spurs will need investment wise to make them a genuine title contender/regular top 4, is Levy going to give VK anything like the amount of money needed for both transfers and wages? History would suggest the answer is no which is basically what their last manager was alluding to before he got the sack.

Furthermore, VK came to us in agreement with the owner that our promotion back to the prem would probably be a 2-3 year journey. Would he get the same at Spurs? Again, history would suggest not and whilst I do understand the fact that results determine how long you stay as a manager at any club, they are fighting for top 4 and yet they have still just sacked another manager?!

In comparison to us, VK has been backed financially in relative terms at least, giving him by far the strongest squad in the Championship and more than capable of performing in the league above next season. Our expectations for next year also won’t be weighing heavy on him because anything from 10th-17th will be deemed a success. On the other hand, Spurs will demand at least top 4, a cup run and maybe a trophy, along with attractive Roy of the Rovers football. All of this, having probably lost their main goal threat only to be replaced by sub-standard players that none of the clubs above them would touch with a barge pole.

Just out of interest, do you therefore think VK will go to Spurs and if so, why?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:40 pm

none of us wants him to go anywhere, and these links are inevitable sadly.
It is bad for the spirit to think this bubble can be popped by monied clubs luring away the very thing that has brought us success.
would be terrible with promotion secured going forward with the prospect of a chris wilder type manager being brought in as replacement. we all know that is doomed to failure.
players and managers move far too much , but theres, not a thing we can do to prevent it.
I just hope he hates london as much as i do. UTC.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Lip
Been Liked: 205 times
Has Liked: 147 times

Post by Lip » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:46 pm

FFS MODS put a padlock on this thread it's depressing. 😒

Ampth7
Been Liked: 228 times
Has Liked: 226 times

Post by Ampth7 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:50 pm

Lip wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:46 pm
So why are you reading it? 🤣😂

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:55 pm

Some of us can complain & be bitter about the links suggesting he's on the radar elsewhere but would you really have it any other way, the other way would be taking away the success he's had here the promotion & dare I say the title. You can't really expect 1 without the other it's only naturally both will occur. Kompany isn't proven & for himself & any bigger club it represents too much of a gamble on both fronts, it might be a different story next season he hasn't even won a PL game yet (let's hope he does) talking about a club who has CL aspirations daft doesn't come close.
Last edited by Jakubclaret on Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: Ampth7

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1160 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:56 pm

Surely it’s very unlikely ? He’s a very wealthy man so money ( for now ) isn’t his motivation . If it ensures AP backs him seriously next season then it’s a good thing , as shows what demand a young talent like VK is in . He’s created a real project here . The one doubt would be if we can’t sign /retain the loans combined with the clear out old guard/ “not made it’s “ which may be impossible to replicate at prem level. I bloody hope he stays .

NRC
Been Liked: 908 times
Has Liked: 107 times

Post by NRC » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:00 pm

my first and last contribution - I'm flummoxed this is even a story being given any level of credibility

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:02 pm

NRC wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:00 pm
my first and last contribution - I'm flummoxed this is even a story being given any level of credibility
Flummoxed really on here it's the kind of story that's sensationalised & thrived upon.

Indecisive
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by Indecisive » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:12 pm

Realistically 99% of managers would make the move from Burnley to spurs.

In England I'd say outside United/city/chelsea/arsenal/spurs/Liverpool and now probably Newcastle, VK wouldn't jump ship at this stage.

However I think he's the confidence to back himself do well with spurs and establish himself at the very top. The guy is a winner.

Hopefully, right now, spurs would view him as too big a risk and we get another season out of him.

Milltown1882
Been Liked: 1102 times
Has Liked: 857 times

Post by Milltown1882 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:14 pm

If you’re in the job to get potted and get a payout in 9 months Spurs is the place to be. I don’t think VK is that daft.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2889 times
Has Liked: 1763 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:17 pm

Lip wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:46 pm
bit of a tough concept for you is it? burnley fans discussing their manager on a burnley fans messageboard ?

boyyanno
Been Liked: 516 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:37 pm

Indecisive wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:12 pm
Realistically 99% of managers would make the move from Burnley to spurs.

In England I'd say outside United/city/chelsea/arsenal/spurs/Liverpool and now probably Newcastle, VK wouldn't jump ship at this stage.

However I think he's the confidence to back himself do well with spurs and establish himself at the very top. The guy is a winner.

Hopefully, right now, spurs would view him as too big a risk and we get another season out of him.
I agree with this and think it's an important point. Kompany has a winners mentality and it's unlikely he would turn a job down for risk of failure, he will definitely back himself to do a good job wherever he goes.

I think if Spurs were serious it would represent a very good move for him. He's touted as a future Man City boss because he is a club legend but teams the size of Spurs do not generally target managers at Championship level/newly promoted teams or without a history of managing at a top level. Managers like Howe and Dyche show that sometimes those clubs still aren't interested even if you're achieving minor miracles.

They might be a bit of a basket case at the moment but he would be unlikely to be considered if they weren't. I also don't think they represent any more of a challenge than we did before he took over. It would also bridge the gap in his C.V from Burnley to big club which (Man City job aside) you'd think he will have to do at some point.

I don't think there's anything in this but that's why I don't think it would be a silly move for him.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:51 pm

Who knows, but Klopp might walk or be potted at the end of the season, and then we'll have all this speculation repeated. With added concern too.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6390 times
Has Liked: 8742 times

Post by IanMcL » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:58 pm

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:04 pm

Don't spoil the fun, Ian. We are Burnley. If someone says it's a lovely sunny day, another person will tell you the rain will be along soon enough.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6965 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:04 pm
Don't spoil the fun, Ian. We are Burnley. If someone says it's a lovely sunny day, another person will tell you the rain will be along soon enough.
In Burnley they would probably be right.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5091 times
Has Liked: 6909 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm

I got this sent today no doubt all us season ticket holders did, he is a man of principal there's no way he would do this if he was leaving. We is emphasised.
https://youtu.be/NBkA_RuCL5A

Billy Balfour

Post by Billy Balfour » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:09 pm

Rileybobs wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm
In Burnley they would probably be right.
Aye, that's kind of my point. For some people, it's an excuse not to enjoy the sunshine.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:17 pm

I think Vinny always speaks about clubs needing patience and loyalty to their managers. It would seem hypocritical if he jumped ship at the first job offer.

JarrowClaret
Been Liked: 343 times
Has Liked: 195 times

Post by JarrowClaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:06 pm

Ampth7 wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:36 pm
Interesting point you make. It’s fair to say that Dyche wasn’t backed especially in his last couple of seasons as the owners were trying to sell the club and maximise their profit.

However, in terms of what Spurs will need investment wise to make them a genuine title contender/regular top 4, is Levy going to give VK anything like the amount of money needed for both transfers and wages? History would suggest the answer is no which is basically what their last manager was alluding to before he got the sack.

Furthermore, VK came to us in agreement with the owner that our promotion back to the prem would probably be a 2-3 year journey. Would he get the same at Spurs? Again, history would suggest not and whilst I do understand the fact that results determine how long you stay as a manager at any club, they are fighting for top 4 and yet they have still just sacked another manager?!

In comparison to us, VK has been backed financially in relative terms at least, giving him by far the strongest squad in the Championship and more than capable of performing in the league above next season. Our expectations for next year also won’t be weighing heavy on him because anything from 10th-17th will be deemed a success. On the other hand, Spurs will demand at least top 4, a cup run and maybe a trophy, along with attractive Roy of the Rovers football. All of this, having probably lost their main goal threat only to be replaced by sub-standard players that none of the clubs above them would touch with a barge pole.

Just out of interest, do you therefore think VK will go to Spurs and if so, why?
I have no idea I hope he doesn’t and my suspicion is he won’t because of everything he has said and I think there is more to achieve in our journey together before he moves on.

To be fare I couldn’t blame him for going though if he was offered the job and he chose to take over there. If he did though it would be clearly be the the draw of managing a much bigger Club with the players and the money that brings. I would hope he is wise enough to see that has many pitfalls and is probably too soon for him though.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2379 times
Has Liked: 3807 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:14 pm

I'm not sure going to a Massive Club renowned for winning nothing and sacking any Manager who remotely looks like he might is a good idea for anyone, let alone Vincent Kompany.

AshevilleNCClaret
Been Liked: 196 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by AshevilleNCClaret » Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:32 pm

VK is destined for bigger clubs, but I can't see the point of jumping ship to Tottenham now. More money, sure, but no job stability, and could easily see him gone mid-season next year. He then joins the carousel of retread coaches.....
He's been fantastic for burnley but what is his ceiling here? Mid-table team for a few years (just like SD) ? I can easily see our team yo-yo-ing between the championship and the PL rather than staying the PL. He will eventually get a bigger offer that will be too good to refuse. I just think it will be a few years from now.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 621 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sat Apr 15, 2023 12:29 am

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 15, 2023 1:10 am

Jakubclaret wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:55 pm
Some of us can complain & be bitter about the links suggesting he's on the radar elsewhere but would you really have it any other way, the other way would be taking away the success he's had here the promotion & dare I say the title. You can't really expect 1 without the other it's only naturally both will occur. Kompany isn't proven & for himself & any bigger club it represents too much of a gamble on both fronts, it might be a different story next season he hasn't even won a PL game yet (let's hope he does) talking about a club who has CL aspirations daft doesn't come close.
Eh?

Firthy
Been Liked: 1613 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by Firthy » Sat Apr 15, 2023 7:48 am

He's going to look a bit foolish next week 🤔😂😂

roperclaret
Been Liked: 339 times
Has Liked: 39 times

Post by roperclaret » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:04 am

How much did Chelsea pay for Potter?

Mattster
Been Liked: 353 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by Mattster » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:12 am

roperclaret wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:04 am
How much did Chelsea pay for Potter?
£25m I think it was

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:21 am

bfcjg wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm
I got this sent today no doubt all us season ticket holders did, he is a man of principal there's no way he would do this if he was leaving. We is emphasised.
https://youtu.be/NBkA_RuCL5A
The cynic in me sees someone out of camera shot somehow forcing VK to do this. Was it a scene from The Goodies where one of them (Tim Brooke-Taylor?) was forced by a broom to be in front of the cameras?

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:27 am

Kompany leaving us now would shock me.

All along he’s indicated that the Burnley job was a project for him and his team and not simply about achieving promotion to the Premier League.

Of course that can always be de-railed if he felt unloved at the club but the opposite is the reality.

He’s building something here
This user liked this post: RVclaret

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:30 am

It’s got the same vibes as something I witnessed previously in my life. I grew up in Swindon and Hoddle came to build something there, and he did. Was poached by Chelsea and left them with John Gorman in charge to fail in the top flight.

Craig Bellamy in charge anyone…?

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:32 am

Rick_Muller wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:30 am
It’s got the same vibes as something I witnessed previously in my life. I grew up in Swindon and Hoddle came to build something there, and he did. Was poached by Chelsea and left them with John Gorman in charge to fail in the top flight.

No, he'd go with him.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:38 am

Rick_Muller wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:30 am

I hope it’s more of a case of the Alex Ferguson story when he was building the Aberdeen side
This user liked this post: Rick_Muller

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2635 times
Has Liked: 6464 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:41 am

taio wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:32 am
No, he'd go with him.
They said the same of John Gorman in Swindon